Naan

Saturday, March 9, 2013

                                 
I only recently heard of Naan, when I started to look into more Indian-style dishes. I finally tried it, and though this recipe may not be official in any way shape or form, we loved the flavor and it went perfectly with our Tikki Masala. I am open to trying different recipes, but I had to get this one down because it turned out so beautifully! I had to tweak the cooking directions a bit because I wasn't using a grill or a grill pan. I used a good old non-stick pan, turned up the heat, and misted the pan with my oil mister each time I put two more breads on. Then coated the open side with oil, waited for just the slightest bit of bubbling (takes only a minute or two) and flipped it over for another minute or two.


Naan (adapted from allrecipes.com) original recipe here

Ingredients:
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 t.)
1 c. warm water
1/4 c. white sugar
3 T. milk
1 egg, beaten
2 t. salt
4 1/2 c. bread flour
optional: 2 t. minced garlic, melted butter, various herbs

1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, unil the dough has doubled in volume.

2. Punch down dough, and knead in garlic (this is optional. I did not use garlic. You could also knead in other herbs or flavorings). Divide dough into 14 pieces (I cut the dough in half, then cut those halves in half, then...you get the idea). Roll the pieces into balls, lay out on lightly oiled baking sheet or cutting board, and cover loosely with a towel. Let rise for 15-30 minutes.

3. During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.

4. At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. While cooking, I spritzed olive oil on top. Flip the breads and cook another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared. (original recipe calls for melted butter to be brushed on, but I'm more of an olive oil fan to keep a few calories at bay. I am sure the melted butter would send the flavor over the EDGE!)

Watch me make it ;)
The dough, cut into pieces

After rising for 30 mins, they are ready to cook.


Here is the setup..while two breads cook, I flatten two more. The process goes very quickly.
So good with Chicken Tikka Masala. Recipe to come soon!











0 comments:

Post a Comment

Little*Garden*Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino