Rhubarb Custard Bars

Thursday, July 11, 2013


Much to my surprise, my husband loves rhubarb. How I never knew that in the 15 years we've been together, I'm not sure. But, it's piqued my interest in finding recipes for a ...veggie? Fruit?... that I've never really been very interested in. Now that I've found some good recipes, I'm finding that I love rhubarb, too!

These bars are freaking amazing. Got huge thumbs up from everyone in the family! If I'm making it for just us 5, I cut the recipe in half (using 2 eggs). And I never have whipping cream on hand, so that only goes in if I'm making for a special occasion.

RHUBARB CUSTARD BARS

Makes 18 large bars.

Plan to eat these bars up within two days. If you don’t think you can eat them that quickly, cut the recipe in half and bake it in an 8×8-inch square pan.
Crust:
1-1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (try whole wheat cake & pastry flour)
½ cup cool butter
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9″ x 13″ (approx) metal or glass pan.
In a large bowl combine all ingredients.  Mix with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.  Butter should be completely incorporated. You can use a food processor for this step, if you like.
Press crumbs (not too too firmly, but firm enough) into the bottom of the prepared pan. Press a tiny bit up the sides of the pan as well. Place pan on lower-centre rack of the preheated oven. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and reduce oven heat to 350 F.
Topping:
1½ cups sugar
3 eggs
5 Tb all-purpose flour
2 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
1/4 cup whipping cream (I have left this out sometimes and the bars are still great)
4 to 5 cups diced fresh rhubarb, diced small
While the crust is baking, mix the topping ingredients together.  In a large bowl, mix the sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, salt, and whipping cream, whisking well to eliminate lumps.  Stir in the diced rhubarb. Once the crust comes out of the oven, pour the topping over it (the crust should still be warm).  Return to the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, until custard no longer jiggles and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean.
Let cool. Cut into bars.
Note: the first bar is hard to cut, but after that, they should be pretty easy to cut.
Found the recipe HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Little*Garden*Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino