Three Sisters Soup

Saturday, July 6, 2013


This simple, unassuming soup is so good! The first time I made it, I was skeptical all the way until my first bite. I've made this many times and everyone loves it. We had it again last night and even the 4-year-old wanted seconds and thirds. If that doesn't indicate a successful family soup, then I don't know what does!


Three Sisters Soup
(adapted from allrecipes.com)

2 c. golden hominy (can use corn instead if desired)
2 c. fresh or frozen green beans (trimmed and snapped if fresh)
2 c. winter squash (i.e. butternut or acorn), peeled and cubed
1 1/2 c. peeled and cubed potatoes (I rarely ever peel potatoes for any recipe)
5 c. vegetable broth
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
1/4 t. pepper

Place the hominy, green beans, squash, and potatoes into a pot, and pour in the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer until the vegetable are soft. Melt the butter in a bowl and blend the flour into it with a fork, then stir into the soup (I dip the bowl into the soup a few times to get all the buttery goodness out). Increase heat to medium, and cook until the soup thickens. Season with pepper and serve.

Peeling and chopping a squash can be challenging. I find it easiest to cut the squash into  small sections that are more easily peeled, then dicing up the flesh of the peeled sections.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Little*Garden*Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino