Noodles with Mushrooms

Tuesday, January 21, 2014


Sometimes I just really want a big old bowl of noodles. Ramen used to fill the bill. But lately I've been trying to avoid MSG and processed stuff as much as a can. I thought I'd try a big batch of this recipe and freeze portions for when the mood hit for a bowl of noodles, or to take out and let thaw until lunchtime. The noodles actually hold up well in the freezer!

I adapted the recipe from Mark Bittman. His recipe called for a whole pound of pasta, but I found that even using 12 oz the first time was too much pasta for mushroom. Since the brand of soba noodles i use comes in 9.5 oz packages, I decided from now on that is how I will make it. I can get four or five servings out of this. I divide it right after it's cooled into serving size containers. I saved the water from soaking the dried mushrooms and put a little in each lunch container, so that it would have some extra moisture for reheating. Fresh cilantro is soooo good on top!

Noodles with Mushrooms
Ingredients

1/4 to 1/2 c. dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms
1 c. hot water
salt
1 pound fresh mushrooms (shiitakes are nice, but any will do; remove the stems)
3 T. peanut oil, 1 T. toasted sesame oil
freshly ground black pepper
9-10 oz soba noodles

1. Soak the dried mushrooms in the hot water for 20 minutes.

2. Boil the noodles according the package directions, drain, reserving some of the liquid. Rinse with cold water and set aside.

3. While soaking and boiling, chop mushrooms to desired size. Warm the oils in a large skillet or wok over medium heat, then add all the mushrooms (scoop the dried mushrooms out of their soaking water with a slotted spoon, reserving liquid). Sprinkle with salt and pepper and raise heat to medium high. Cook, stirring occasionally, at least 10 minutes.

4. Add 1/2 c. of pasta cooking water OR mushroom soaking water to the mushrooms, then dump in the cooked noodles. Toss everything together well, adding a little more sesame oil if desired. Add more liquid if the noodles seem too dry.

5. Season with soy sauce (I use a spray bottle of Bragg's liquid aminos) and cilantro, and enjoy! I get 5 generous lunch servings out of this!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Little*Garden*Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino