Fluffy Whole Grain Pancakes

Saturday, February 15, 2014


I am so glad I found this method! I will warn you, it will dirty up several bowls. ABSOLUTELY worth it, though! My hubby just bought me a new set of pyrex bowls for my birthday because I'd been making due with two beat up plastic bowls (the third became the victim of being set on a hot stove burner, thus being ruined). I found this recipe just days after my much-appreciated gift of bowls...it was fate. (I'm not the only one who adores getting things like bowls and blenders from their hubbies, right?)



Regardless of the multiple dirty bowls...you MUST try this. Whole wheat pancakes are not known to be fluffy and delicious. But by folding in beaten egg whites, the texture and flavor become astounding. I was skeptical about using coriander, but I added it anyway, and I think it added something really nice to the final flavor. The kids and I devoured these for lunch; my nephew Justin didn't even use syrup. I am thinking of trying the method on my other pancake recipes, too.



I'm starting to post a lot of recipes by Mark Bittman lately, and for good reason. His recipes are solid, simple, and so good. I'm glad I finally checked out a couple of his cookbooks.

*note: this method is also found in The Tassjara Bread Book. Incidentally, in the copy I read, Mark Bittman was one of the positive reviewers and stated that this book launched him into bread making. :)



Fluffy Whole Grain Pancakes by Mark Bittman (found recipe here
1 2/3 cups whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander or cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, separated
2 cups milk.
1. Melt 3 tablespoons butter. In a large bowl combine flours, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt.
2. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer or a whisk until stiff peaks form, but do not overbeat. In separate bowl beat milk, yolks and melted butter until foamy, a couple of minutes. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and give a couple of good stirs, but do not overmix. Fold in egg whites and stir until batter is just evenly colored and relatively smooth; it's O.K. if there are some lumps.
3. Heat a large skillet (preferably cast iron) or griddle over medium heat until a few drops of water dance on its surface. Add butter as needed (or use a thin film of neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn). When skillet is hot, spoon batter into pan. Cook until bubbles form and pop, about 2 minutes; you may have to rotate cakes to cook them evenly, depending on your heat source and pan. Then carefully flip pancakes. Cook until well colored on other side, another minute or two more. Serve or keep in warm oven for a few minutes.
Yield: At least 6 servings.
Stir-ins: 1/2 cup cornmeal, rolled oats or oat or wheat bran in place of 1/2 cup of either flour; or add 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed; or add up to 1/2 cup cooked grain like quinoa, brown rice or millet. (The flour in this recipe can be all whole-wheat or all buckwheat.)
Lighter cakes: Use 2/3 cup white flour in place of 2/3 cup of the whole-wheat flour. This makes separating the eggs optional.
Savory cakes: Omit sugar and increase salt to 1 teaspoon; replace cinnamon with cumin. Serve like bread with soups or stews.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Little*Garden*Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino