Grandma's Peanut Brittle

Sunday, December 4, 2011


Beware: this peanut brittle is addictive! For me, it brings back very strong memories from my childhood holidays. My grandma made it every year. This is the first year I've tried it, and I was surprised at how easy it is! A candy thermometer is very helpful, even though Grandma didn't use one.

Ingredients
2 c. sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1/2 c. water

Stir over medium heat until melted, bring to a boil. Boil over moderate heat until a thin thread form when stirring spoon is lifted, about 30 minutes (250 degrees).

Add
1 lb. RAW peanuts

Continue moderate boil until peanuts are golden brown (about 30 minutes more, and until thermometer reads 300).

Add
Walnut sized dab of butter (I use 1 T.), stir quickly until melted, then
2 t. baking soda

Stir quickly until butter and soda is mixed in, and pour onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. (I like the way the brittle turns out better if you don't spread it out...just let it settle on its own).

Cool completely, then break into pieces.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Little*Garden*Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino