Homemade Pita Chips

Saturday, December 3, 2011





You gotta try these with my favorite homemade hummus!

A couple of years ago, my mom got me hooked on Stacy's Pita Chips. They are incredibly crunchy and tasty, and make you feel like you are eating something healthy. But if you actually look at the label, those pita chips are full of fat and sodium. And, they are really expensive! I started using whole wheat pita breads and thought I'd come up with something inventive...but the truth is, tons of people make these. It's all over the internet!

Now that I learned to make them, I make a batch at least once a week. You can flavor them any way you want, so there are a lot of variations to play around with.

Ingredients
pita pocket breads (any kind you want...I like whole wheat--you could get really motivated and make homemade pitas...hmmm...)
salt
spices

Use kitchen shears to cut the round pitas in half (if they are not already halved), and then into thirds, for a total of 6 triangles. Cut around the bottom edge of each triangle to separate the pocket. Take triangle pieces and lay them on a cookie sheet (what was the inside of the pocket should be facing up). Spray with a little oil, then sprinkle salt or seasonings--some good flavors are garlic, Italian herb, cumin, or try cinnamon/sugar. Get inventive! (sometimes when I'm feeling like something very plain, I only put oil on them). Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, checking often. As soon as they start to get browned they are done. I've noticed that some get brown faster, so I take them out and put the rest back in.

Enjoy with dips, soups, or all by themselves!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Little*Garden*Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino