Banana Chia Pancakes

Saturday, February 16, 2013


Yes, I have a pancake obsession. I didn't use to--for years I might have pancakes once or twice a year. But having kids changed that; I now make pancakes at least once a week. Pancakes are the cure-all for on the go breakfast (freeze a bunch so that you can take one out and put it in the toaster right before you run out the door), or for lunch (since I run a daycare I've become sensitive to what lunches will please 'most'...and pancakes fit the bill). My blog now has several pancake recipes and I am constantly trying out new ones.

I like checking out all kinds of cookbooks for inspiration. This pancake recipe came from Karma Chow by Melissa Costello. I have friends who are going vegan, and I've become a little fascinated with vegan recipes (in case I need to cook for those friends some time...and just to have something new up my sleeve). My family loves meat, but I eat it rarely--we have frequent discussions about the various issues surrounding meat-eating, and we eat vegetarian meals a few times a week for supper. The fam has become accustomed to trying new things and are very open-minded about our meatless meals. I think I could easily go vegetarian (but man, the chicken...it would take some time to stop missing my chicken). Vegan though. I just don't know about giving up my cheese. And eggs. I could totally be a part-time vegan. Especially with some of the awesome recipes I've found.

So. These babies have a tropical flair with the coconut and banana taste. The chia seeds add the most subtle little bits for crunch. They are surprisingly awesome with maple syrup. What sold me, though? When my youngest son and my nephew sneaked into the leftovers I had on the counter and gobbled them up like they were candy. And considering they are pretty darn healthy, I was perfectly ok with that.


Banana Chia Pancakes

2 c. white whole wheat flour
2 T. chia seeds
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 ripe bananas
2 T. agave nectar
1 1/2 c. coconut milk (I used lite)
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla extract

Place flour, chia seeds, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and stir together . In a separate bowl, mash the peeled bananas into a paste. Add the mashed banana, agave nectar, coconut milk, cinnamon, and vanilla to the flour mixture and stir well to combine the batter. Heat a dollop of coconut oil (I just misted the pan with my mister like I usually do) on a nonstick skillet or griddle and pour the batter on it by 1/4 cups. Let the pancakes cook until bubbly and the edges are somewhat dry, and then flip over and brown on the other side. If the batter thickens up too much, add a touch more coconut milk (this is the result of the chia seeds gelatinizing).

note: original recipe called for gluten free flour, but we are not gluten free. You could use any type of flour you want.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Little*Garden*Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino