Just Enough Wheat Pizza Dough

Thursday, February 14, 2013



As you can see--this dough recipe is the best one I've found for actually having ROUND pizza! And it tastes really awesome, too!

Now that we've been having homemade pizza on a pretty regular basis, I'm finding that it's very much a process that can be perfected over time. I've had some mishaps and some ugly pizzas turning out of this kitchen. Not that I seek perfection--but sometimes a nice-looking pizza that tastes great is a great way of feeling satisfied when you've sworn off the aesthetic perfection of processed, store-bought frozen pizzas.

I've made many different doughs and there are things I like about each recipe. Each has its own personality, its important features depending on what I need in a pizza at that time. When I've decided on pizza at the last minute, I use Perfect Pizza Dough, since it can be ready to go into the oven very quickly. If I have more time, I'll make Olive Oil Dough, or Whisk Dough. They need a bit of time to sit around.

I've discovered an awesome new dough recipe that I have a feeling I'm going to use a lot, because I love the flavor and texture. Here's the catch, though--it takes the most time of all. It rises for 12 to 24 hours!!! Wowsers. Definitely need to prepare ahead. However, that's not really so hard...if you make the dough while you are cooking supper one night and are already in the kitchen anyway, then set it aside, about 24 hours later you'll be in the kitchen again for supper and the dough will be ready. That's what I did, and I didn't even have to put the dough in the fridge. It was pillowy, bubbly and perfectly ready after 24 hours, covered, on the counter.

After rising for 24 hours, the dough was very workable. I was able to make nice, round pizzas easily. I didn't prebake the crust at all, but did put them in the oven right after putting on the toppings--a hint from the author of this recipe to avoid soggy crust. This recipe is really delicious and I'm so glad I found it.

Note: I do not have a food processor and I do this all by hand. The dough is amazingly easy to knead. I really didn't have to add any more flour as I kneaded; it has just the perfect amount of dry-to-wet ingredients to keep the hands relatively clean and to make the kneading a fun, relaxing process (I've been known to walk around the kitchen kneading in mid air while doing other important things. This type of multi-tasking can definitely be done with this recipe).

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
from The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila

1 1/4 c. warm water
2 t. active dry yeast
1 t. sugar
2 1/3 c. unbleached all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour (for added flavor, sub 1/2 c. with rye flour)
1 t. kosher salt
3 t. olive oil

1. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until there is a bit of foam on the surface of the liquid.

2. If you are using a food processor, combine the flours, salt, and 2 t. of the olive oil in the bowl of the food processor and pulse to combine. With the machine running, add the yeast mixture as fast as the flour will absorb it. Process until the dough forms a ball and clings to the blade, then process for another 30 seconds. If you are working by hand, add the liquid slowly while kneading the dough in the bowl with the other hand, and then when the liquid is incorporated, knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes.

3. Use the remaining teaspoon of oil to grease a medium bowl and piece of plastic wrap large enough to cover the bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, cover it with the plastic, and leave in a warm place to rise for at least 12 hours, but up to 24 hours. It will get nice and bubbly.

4. Preheat oven to 475. Divide the dough into desired number of pizzas (I like to make four) and shape, flatten, roll into desired shape and thickness. Top with any number of variations of toppings.

5. Bake pizzas for 10 to 15 minutes.

Watch me make a round pizza for a change!
This dough is SUPER easy to work with. Not sticky at all. It begs to be patted into a perfect circle.





Before adding toppings, it wouldn't hurt to poke some holes into the crust to prevent bubbles from forming while baking.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Little*Garden*Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino