Crockpot Overnight Oatmeal with Maple & Brown Sugar

Saturday, January 7, 2012


I love steel cut oats. This is a nice recipe because I can divide it into portions to store in the refrigerator, and warm a bowl up in the morning for breakfast. It has the perfect amount of flavor and sweetness for me (the boys always want to add more brown sugar, of course). Real maple syrup is a must. It's really important not to overcook the oatmeal. Since it only takes 6-7 hours to cook, it's not always feasible to make it overnight (unless you are a night owl like me and don't go to bed until midnight--yet still have to get up at 6 to start the day ). Sometimes I'll let it cook on a Saturday when I can keep an eye on it and not worry about it overcooking, then divide it into portions. If I do feel like a little more sweetness, I'll throw a few raisins on top before heating it in the microwave.

The recipe makes about 8 cups of prepared oatmeal. I use 3/4 c. as a serving, at around 200 calories. Cut the recipe in half if you don't think you'll eat that many servings!


Crockpot Overnight Oatmeal with Maple and Brown Sugar

(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy)

8 cups water
2 cups steel-cut oatmeal (ONLY USE STEEL-CUT)
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup

Add all ingredients to 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Drizzle each serving with maple syrup if desired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Little*Garden*Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino