Whole Wheat Bread

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Another recipe I found on Babycenter, and I made just a few tiny changes (in parentheses) for my own taste. This is a really tasty, basic bread. I think it tastes good on its own, or with butter and/or jam. Dense and chewy, with just a hint of honey flavor. The vital wheat gluten can be found by the flour at the grocery store, and it really adds something good to the texture. I make this often!


Whole Wheat Bread
(Jtwinzz)

1 1/3 c. very warm water (110 degrees)
1 1/2 T. canola oil (I use 1 T)
2 T. honey (I use 3 T)
1 t. salt
2 t. rapid rise yeast
2 T. vital wheat gluten
3 1/4 to 3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (I use 3 c.)

Combine water, oil, honey and salt and mix. Add 1 1/2 c. flour and mix well. Add yeast and vital wheat gluten and mix well. Add the rest of the flour gradually, adding the last 1/2 cup very gradually until dough 'cleans the bowl', if using a stand mixer. If mixing by hand, the dough should be just a bit sticky, but easy to manage with a bit of flour or non-stick spray on your hands.

Let rise until double in bulk (with instant yeast this will take 20-30 min). Form into a loaf (I put mine into a bread pan) and let rise again til double again (20-30 min-don't let it over rise or it may 'fall' while baking). Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Little*Garden*Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino